Charleston City Market
The historic 40,000 square foot Charleston City Market, one of the oldest operational urban markets in the country, was restored including repointing old bricks and retrofitting The Market sheds with ceiling fans, a skylight running the length of its block long roof, modernized restrooms, new ceiling and floors, and 20 “micro boutiques” — locally owned retail spaces of 150 to 600 square feet each that share an open floor plan.
The original City Market was established in 1807 to sell meat, fruit, vegetables and fish. It had served as a recruiting station during the Civil War. For the last few decades it sold T-shirts, crafts and sweet grass baskets. The overhaul is intended to bring back high-end local businesses and shoppers who had abandoned the site to the tourist trade.
|City Market Preservation Trust
Piping & Plumbing
Fire Alarm / Protection